Plagiarism, or How to Never Work on These Internets Again

by Angel Amy on March 16, 2012

Plagiarism. It happened again, in a high-profile way, in the mom blog space. A well-known blogger, Amalah (and we apologize if we pronounced your blog’s name wrong, repeatedly), detailed in a post how her words were stolen. The woman who stole them seems to be at the center of several dramas, but this is the latest and, we think, it may just be the end of brands wanting to work with her.

This week’s links

“The Plagiarist’s Tale” in The New Yorker.

The plagiarized article in question was published this week on Babble’s Being Pregnant blog.

According to one blogger, Kristin Ruiz had a history of questionable behavior regarding other people’s content.

Cecily K  and Lisa Belkin both use other people’s words in ways that don’t break any ethical rules, and start interesting discussions.

Carol Cain once had her blog posts stolen and passed off as someone else’s.

Jayson Blair is famous for posting articles from places he’d never been to.

Liz Gumbinner published a great post a while back, The Blogger’s Ten Commandments of Don’t Steal Our Shit

Angel Amy wrote about the Chrysler Contest Fail, which coincidentally also involved Kristina Ruiz.

BlogHer is a good example of a site that runs popularity contests the right way – you have to register, and you can vote only once.

Nancy gave a rare (but deserved) self-halo to a picture that her mother-in-law sent her recently.

Amy gave her halo to Stephanie Schwab for her post on Social Media Explorer, The Decline of Blogs (and How PR can help avoid it)

You can listen to the podcast below, or subscribe on iTunes. Don’t forget to give us a great rating!

To download this episode to your computer directly: right click here, then click “save link as”

We’d love for you to weigh in! Leave a comment, we’ll talk back.

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Gary March 16, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Thanks for illustrating the “right way” and “wrong way” to post content…  The internet is like the wild wild west sometimes when it comes to protecting our content.  It seems there is very little anyone can do once their content has been copied without proper citation.  It’s a real pain especially because I keep reading about how Google hates duplicate content.  I always worry about someone stealing and posting my content, then Google penalizing ME for duplicate content.  Does that happen and is there any way to avoid this?  Thanks -
Gary recently posted..Wood projects

2 Angel Amy March 19, 2012 at 10:50 pm

That’s an excellent question! I have no idea if you get penalized. I would hope that the first one posted would be the one that counted, but I don’t know if that’s the case. As for avoiding it, that’s tough. Partial RSS feeds help if you’re afraid of being “scraped.” There’s also something called Tynt that I’m looking into right now – I’ll keep you posted.

Angel Amy recently posted..Harrison Ford is watching me sweat

3 Carol March 17, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Ugh. This just makes me sick to my stomach. So many of us work so very hard to make sure that our words, our thoughts, our feelings are transcribed in the most honest, purest form. Even our most personal posts, which some may think come so easy, require the time and right inspiration, processes of inner self before we type them down. It’s such a violation. I can’t even find the way to express it. What a shame.

4 Angel Amy March 19, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I remember when it happened to you I felt so protective, even though they weren’t my words! I guess all we can do is keep our eyes open and tell each other when we see something weird.

Angel Amy recently posted..3 pounds to go: time for a new game plan

5 Tanya @ Mommy Goggles March 18, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Kristin Ruiz is very well known for stealing peoples post content on numerous happenings. She stole from me, and admitted it, once I confronted her in 2009. She stole from 2 other Mom Central bloggers’ posts as well, where she was then fired from that agency. She stole several pregnancy posts, and even had the gall to steal someone’s post about a sex life. Seriously, who does that? Kristin may be physically 27 years old, but the child has mental issues. I pity her kids. Her husband is just as much of a mental nutcase as Kristin is. The girls been committing fraud with the government for food stamps for years, they’re boh too lazy to get up and get a job, yet she’s 27 and STILL in college. Last time I checked, that time frame would make her a doctor. And to think, she’s going to school for social ,edia marketing.

Here’s some more of what she is like. They have even conned someone out of a car.

She’s twisted as they come & she needs meds & a jacket that let’s her hug herself.

6 Mumma P October 24, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I have to ask…. With her name being slung around and trashed so much has ANYONE stopped to othink for ONE MINUTE that there are MORE than ONE Kristan Ruiz’s in the world?????

REALLY LADIES??? & men if it fits….while it is NOT me I am speaking of I DO know of TWO (in separate countries) and neither of them are her—HOWEVER people are quick to get in their faces because of what they READ.

While I do not approve of plagerism…I definitely think BULLYING to BS!! I also think that it is you who have the mentalities of MEAN GIRLS. Shame on you! Remember Ladies KARMA…..

7 Angel Amy October 24, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I’m sorry, but I don’t really think the name is a concern. No matter what the name, there will be someone else with that name, somewhere. If there were to be another BLOGGER with the same name, or even another writer, that would be different. But from what you wrote, that’s not the case.

8 Maryden25 March 19, 2012 at 11:33 am

I can’t understand those “writers” who doesn’t write their own articles or blogs. Why they waste their time posting blogs which are actually copied. So degrading!
Maryden25 recently posted..Eight O Clock Coffee Coupon 2012

9 Tanya @ Mommy Goggles March 19, 2012 at 11:53 am

None of us will ever understand it. Kristin from Our Ordinary Life is well known for stealing people’s content. She will never change. If you see Beaverton, Oregon show up on your website tracker – it’s her and most likely, she’s making an appearance to steal content.

10 Angel Amy March 19, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I see it kind of like shoplifting. They’re lazy, they think they can get something for nothing, and they don’t believe that they’re hurting anyone in the process.

Angel Amy recently posted..Partying around Europe on the Disney Fantasy

11 Born25 March 22, 2012 at 10:36 am

Writing is an essential things, created upon the imagination and intelligent of original creator… That’s why i found crazy for those who are stealing the works of other and not making on their own… Just my thought..thanks!
Born25 recently posted..ab conference call

12 Lenon35 March 23, 2012 at 7:59 am

Stealing with someone else is a habit of a lazy one’s, you are not able to deserved a recognition as virtual writer if you are not doing things originally… Writing is about constructing beautiful ideas from your own thoughts…

Lenon35 recently posted..white card QLD

13 Isabel March 23, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Hi guys,

This doesn’t make any sense:
“Last, Angel Amy said that Kristin Ruiz had originally published the post in question on her own blog, but it was actually posted on AlphaMom.com. Amy regrets the error, and the other Angels managed to talk her back down from the ledge of Nancy’s apartment.”
These are the facts: Amy Corbett Storch is the original writer and she published the pregnancy posts on Alphamom.com.  Kristin Ruiz is the admitted plagiarizer.  Kristin first published plagiarized posts on her own blog and then transcribed those plagiarized posts again on Babble.  Hope this is clear.

14 Angel Amy March 26, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Hey Isabel, thanks for clearing that up. There was just too much going on and I did a bad job with the explanation.

Angel Amy recently posted..Harrison Ford is watching me sweat

15 lhurvin March 26, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Stealing of someones work is laziness. Originating is dignity.

16 Emily Woodhouse April 6, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Amy at first thanks for lightening up such an important thing. In my blog life the word I hate most is ‘Plagiarism’. I can’t understand how some people do such mean? Informative post. Thanks again.
Emily Woodhouse recently posted..cheapest auto loan

17 jennifer May 18, 2012 at 2:38 am

For me stealing some one else idea is not doing a great thing, if we want o recognized with our ideal creation, we need to take an effort for searching the best that we can be…
jennifer recently posted..cheapcalls.com