What is a sponsored post really worth?

by Angel Amy on February 14, 2012

Recently Cecily K. posted a very interesting slideshow on Babble’s MomCrunch laying out how much 25 bloggers charge for sponsored posts. She included a formula for how to get to a starting point for how much to charge if you have no idea. The blogger numbers and the formula started a fantastic discussion, both on Twitter and in the post’s comments, and we used the post as a jumping off point for our own discussion on what sponsored posts are worth, when we work for free, when we work for products and trips and access, and when we flat-out think companies are trying to take advantage of us.

This is the closest that a couple of us have gotten to yelling at each other across the table. Money does that.

Whether you agree or disagree with what Cecily posted, it’s a fascinating subject, and I think we could have talked about it for hours – not just the numbers, but whether or not bloggers should be giving up this info publicly. Angel Amy was one of the bloggers who participated in the survey, and she thinks it’s important to get those numbers out there, to help other bloggers in their negotiations. What do you think? Is it just tacky, or is it time to lay it all out there and help each other make more money?

This week’s links

Jessica Gottlieb listed the highest sponsored post rate in the survey, at $1,000.

Kred.ly is a new-ish site that is giving Klout a run for its money in gauging twitter influence.

The post we discussed originated with another post of Cecily’s, Mommy Bloggers for sale: $7!

We’ve all done sponsored posts through the Clever Girls Collective.

Amy, Rebecca, and Julia Beck attended a fabulous, delicious party hosted by Jennifer Perillo. Thanks, Jennifer!

Amy gave her golden halo to an article in Digiday about why publishers are betting on sponsored posts.

Heidi gave a golden halo to all of the mom bloggers who’ve had babies lately, who have been posting fabulous pictures of their adorable little babies, including Jessica Shyba and Jen Rabulan-Bertram.

Nancy gave halos to Family Travel Forum, Traveling Mom, Norwegian Cruise Line, and Omni Hotels for sponsoring and/or running the recent Family Travel Conference.

Rebecca gave a halo to all of the Social Media Women out there who took down the Susan G. Komen Foundation, and to Joanne Bamberger for her excellent new website, The Broad Side.

You can listen to the podcast below, or subscribe on iTunes. Don’t forget to give us a great rating!

To download this episode to your computer directly: right click here, then click “save link as”

We’d love for you to weigh in! Leave a comment, we’ll talk back.

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Carolyn West February 14, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Great show ladies. Amy, thank you for sharing your fees in Cecily’s post. I’ve always had huge issues with knowing what to charge. I think the more you blog and work with brands, the better idea of what you are willing to do for a buck. I turn down way more pitches these days than I did when I first started. I think when people realize the kinds of budgets these PR people are working with, they’ll be a lot less likely to sell themselves short.

2 Angel Amy February 15, 2012 at 9:35 am

Hey Carolyn, it’s such a tough thing. And my price goes up if I’m super busy. But in general, I knew I had hit on the right price when I was getting to do, on average, about 1.5 sponsored posts a week. Any more than that would make me feel uncomfortable.

3 Joanne Bamberger aka PunditMom February 14, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Glad you’re enjoying The Broad Side!  :)

4 Angel Amy February 15, 2012 at 9:36 am

We really are! Such a fantastic idea. And I love the name. :-)

5 Gary February 14, 2012 at 3:43 pm

True that this is a fascinating subject….  Take Google for example.  If you Google “this post is sponsored by Google” it appears that they are using sponsored blog posts as part of their advertising campaign.  There is a lot of chatter and debate about this in that google chrome in essense is violating google’s “paid links” policy!  Maybe there will be a shift in the perceived quality of “paid links” as more and more paid sponsored blog posts get generated…
Gary recently posted..Watch Movies

6 Angel Amy February 15, 2012 at 9:38 am

I hope so. I can understand where Heidi’s coming from – some people do lose their voice when they do sponsored posts – but I don’t think it has to be that way. It takes work, and thoughtful writing, and most of all choosing appropriate topics/products.

7 isabella057 March 3, 2012 at 8:27 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insights about sponsoring post! I think it’s really worth it! It’s nice to learn and know more about this Amy. Good Job!

8 Karyn18 March 16, 2012 at 10:59 am

Hello Angels!
Thanks for sharing of Cecily K’s post. I’ll check it after this same with other links here. I’m really interest to know more about sponsored post. I’m not that familiar with it.

Karyn18 recently posted..Overview of Gummy Bear Implants Used in Breast Augmentation Procedures

9 jennifer May 21, 2012 at 5:48 am

These stuff is pretty amazing, I do love to check every linked topics that you share with us…
jennifer recently posted..SEO London